A war memorial chiefly to the World War II soldiers and civilians who defended the city for 23 days in July 1941 when Belarus was part of the USSR. Few survived, it’s estimated 82,000 Russians and 30,000 Germans perished. The USSR took back the city in 1944. Military reporter Konstantin Simonov was one of the few survivors. He wrote about the events he witnessed and willed that when he died his ashes be scattered on the field. In the central red brick chapel is Foucault’s pendulum, a tribute to the fallen defenders of Mogilev. Not far away is the Lake of Tears symbolising the grief of bereaved women.